Monday, August 2, 2010

Month 3 @ Cosmic Toast Studios

| by Allan Stackhouse |

The work seems to have really amped up here at Cosmic Toast Studios. The entire studio is busy with a fun new project. On the sound side, we've got some amazing talent for the voices. I don't know if I'm allowed to say exactly who one actor is but let's just say that his pants are of a certain equally sided shape. Jen, our producing intern, has been doing a great job as script supervisor for the recordings. The animation work we've been producing for it is looking fantastic.

If you haven't noticed, I've started incorporating reviews for new movie releases to theaters instead of solely new Blu-ray releases. My first was Eclipse, which I didn't enjoy as much as New Moon. The fight scene was well worth the price of admission though. It's such a shame that the lengths in cinematography that New Moon went to were erased in favor of the washed out look from Twilight. My second new movie review was Inception. The trailer was stunning but the movie as a whole did not work for me. Great score though.

Unrelated to the studio, I was invited to attend a screening of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World which ended up being my third new movie review. I haven't been to one of these in a while so the process was a little anxiety-inducing but the movie was phenomenal! And I got to see it for free! I absolutely recommend it to everyone. Literally everyone. Michael Cera and all of the cast were great. The visual effects additions to all of the scenes made it seem more like a video game thus providing a more immersive viewing experience.

A few of the Cosmic Toasters made it down to Comic-Con and I reveled in their stories. Not so much with the one about somebody's eye area getting stabbed but just about all the others. Our Jesse Scully was on hand for the Resident Evil and Marvel panels. The vuvuzela story was absolutely hilarious. How cute was the little kid that asked Ryan Reynolds to recite the Green Lantern oath.



Marissa, one of our animation interns, attended the SIGGRAPH (Special Interest Group on GRAPHics and Interactive Techniques) annual conference on computer graphics. She met some amazing people. 3DS Max was celebrating its 20th anniversary. She didn't win any of the raffled prizes but she did get a blue AND red RenderMan walking teapot.

Colin, one of our animators, had Max Neptune and the Menacing Squid played at the Action on Film Festival in Pasadena. I was there the first night, Friday the 23rd. Due to popularity, Max Neptune was granted a second screening the following Sunday. Thursday, the day of the awards ceremony, came around and I unsuccessfully aided Colin with his tie. This was of no matter because Max Neptune won for Best Visual Effects Short. In his modesty, Colin didn't post anything about his win but I immediately updated the Cosmic Toast Studios and my personal Facebook pages to announce his win.

colinaward

As the month winded down, the work seemed to ramp up. I was assigned my first screenwriting project and I was overjoyed. After a rewrite, my treatment was sent off so we'll see if the clients are happy with it. Kristin and Mike, of LA Music Blog, graciously offered me a writing opportunity for the site and of course I accepted. I will be covering the realms of mainstream pop and hip hop. Check out my first post!

Brandon celebrated his 8th birthday and he was gifted with a shiny new bicycle and a puppy. His name is Buster and he's adored by the kids... and everyone here. So much so that it was eye opening for me to see how hard little kids can fall in love for something.

buster

We had a big pitch day last week and more pitches as August begins. This month is shaping up to be very productive here. Expect more movie reviews and now music news from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment